Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2018

Tables Finished!

Hey there, remember last post I mentioned I was making two massive coffee tables for the Doc's in-laws?  And, that I hoped it would look somewhat like this?


Well, here they are finished.  I hope I'll have a picture or two to post once they are delivered and put in their planned places.  But, I think they are very close to their inspiration picture, and right now, I'm really happy with them.



Wood bases (2x8's cut to size 2x2, milled down, sanded, filled and sanded again-I only got two long pieces out of each section of 2x8; there was so much waste!)

Primed with Rustoleum black primer; three coats of Rustoleum black satin, two coats of Varathane satin polyurethane.

Table top is 1x3s cut to size, placed within a frame of 2x4, on the diagonal in 4 sections. All of it is glued onto a 1/2" plywood based.  Then, the top was flipped and screws were run through the plywood into each of the boards in at least two places.  The pine boards were then stained in different base colors (Varathane summer oak, Varathene basic gray, Minwax Early American, and Minwax Ebony, and Varathane weatherizer).  Sanded, filled, sanded, more stain, more sanding, more stain, more sanding until they looked old and weathered enough!  The edge trim is Minwax Ipswich pine and it went through the whole aging process with the rest of the table!

Finally, the tops received 4 coats of Varathane Satin Polyurethane.

The tops will be screwed on from the bottom of the top rails of the base.

These were another fun project.  But, I think this weekend it's time to move them to their new home!

UPDATE:  Photos of tables in their new home







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!