Finally, last night after dinner I made my way out to the garage. I was tired and really debated whether I wanted to work on this. In the end, I told myself that I'd work only until 9 pm. If I still wasn't getting these drawers to work by then, I'd worry about them later.
When I left the garage on Sunday I'd left the drawers in pieces. My plan was to rebuild them and make every effort to get them square. I built myself a jig - I guess that's what you'd call it. Two square corners wide enough to hold the ends of the drawers. I squared up one end, screwed it together, flipped it around and did the same with the other end. Checked for square - success! The new drawers ended up about a 1/2" shorter and deeper than the one drawer that work well from the get go (I had to use the material I had on hand - I'm trying to keep the costs down for my friend's sake!). But, the drawer fronts are all the same size so the slight difference won't be noticeable.
|Two that fit!|
I was so sure that the problem drawer would work well that I put the drawer front on it before sliding it into the box. Dang, dang, dang - it wasn't right, not even close. It doesn't look bad here, but it is :-(
|Still a problem!|
I worked on it a bit, lowering and moving slides, It moves all the way in now, but it's still not level or straight in the box. If I can't finish this by Friday, this is going to be on hold for a while. This weekend I start a new project, one that should be more straight forward. Cabinets for the Docs-I do like making things for my kids!
Check back to see how this bed turns out - I can't wait to see either!