Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

Oh, my aching back!

Those of you who know me well, know that I've had issues with my back since I was 15 years old.  For the most part, I'll feel a twinge and know that for a few days I have to walk gingerly, stretch, soak in a hot tub, and I'll get past it.  Over the years, though, there have been several times when I've actually had to be flat on my back for several days.  At those times I've tried drugs, alcohol, acupuncture, chiropractic, and physical therapy.  Gotta tell you, I've learned that when it's that bad the thing that works best is alcohol!

Okay, so what?  Well, for the past couple of weeks I've been darned close to flat on my back.  The only thing/person that's kept me upright is my chiropractor - God bless him!  (Olman Mata, in Covina) I managed to hobble in to his office the day after I threw out my back and he beat the heck out of me.  I went back two days later for more of the same.  For about 10 days I could feel the pain lurking in the base of my spine, but I was able to get around.  That's all - I could just get around.  And, after about 10 days, it happened again, and Friday I was back in for a second round of chiropractic care.

The worst thing is that when this happens I feel old!  I'm reminded that there are so many things I did when I was younger that I can no longer do - as easily (I so still keep trying to do them!).  So, back troubles cause me to be not just physically limited, but emotionally drained.

This weekend, although I was moving slowing and standing a bit crooked, I just couldn't stand not doing anything any longer!  I can do without house cleaning, I can do without shopping, I can do without a lot of things, but I absolutely miss working on projects in the garage.  So, I decided to find something I could do - something on a small scale.

No boards longer than 24", nothing heavy, no drawers to wrangle with.  Just this.  (and, yes, the pictures are horrible.  I think I need to clean the lens of my camera phone...)




I think it's kind of cute.  I like that it's sort of rustic.  I like the metal trim.  And, hopefully, that it's functional.  The docs had mentioned they wanted something with hooks to hang by their front door.  I don't know if this will work, but it's theirs if it does.  I can see them stashing mail or phones in the slots, and keys or coats on the hooks.

If I can find a chalk pen before I give it to them they might even write each other sweet love notes, you think??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!