Pages

Monday, May 7, 2018

Big Tables - Oh, My!!

Another couple contacted me through Facebook, asking about a custom table for their covered patio area.  I was busy with some other things, and although I'm a sucker for big, wood dining room tables, I wasn't so sure I was ready to tackle another one just yet.  So, I said we could talk about it and sent them all my "here's how this works" info.  It didn't scare them off, and they replied that they weren't in any hurry.  So, I took on the challenge.  They had decided they wanted a pipe base which is something I'd never done, so I was sure it would be interesting!

It turned out beautifully well, I think.  It was massive, 8' long, 40" wide, made from 2x materials.  So, it quickly became very, very heavy.  

The finish is Minwax Early American stain, with a General Finishes exterior polyurethane finish.  

The pipe - oh my gosh, I had no idea pipe was so expensive.   Each of the floor flanges were close to $12 a piece!  And, it's heavy.  And, putting it together was like a big puzzle - tighten one pipe, loosen another, undo a connection so you can tighten/loosen another piece.  I was able to get it somewhat level, but there was a wobble in it that, because I have no strength in my arms, I was not able to tighten or loosen the right pieces to correct the problem.  I hated to admit defeat, but I explained my problem and these kind people were complete unfazed!  Turns out, he'd done some work with pipes in the field and understood the complexity.  I stained a few shims and suggested that he slip those between the table top and the top flange,  until he had a couple of friends over, and they'd all had a couple of beers and felt ready to tackle the undoing and doing!  He thought that was a great idea!






So, they were great to work with, and we all liked the table.  I think they'll get a couple of good years with this table - and the good thing is, when they want a different top, that's the least expensive part to replace!  And, they picked it up and I had room in my garage again!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!