Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Damned drawers!

What a day!  I'm still working on the day bed.  It's ready to be stained - almost.  Today I finished the face frames, filled and sanded, cut drawer fronts, and edged those drawer fronts.  Whew, I was feeling pretty good about maybe getting these parts over to my friend the designer.  It looked like all the pieces would line up and butt up against each other just the way they were supposed to (not without lots of redoing and fix'n, let me tell you!).  All I really had to do now was get the drawer fronts on the drawer bodies and I'd be ready to stain.

My euphoria was, sadly, short lived.  One front on and working on the second the ugly consequences of things being just a teensy bit out of square became very apparent!  I tried, I really, really tried to get those drawers right.  I'd finally gotten the "bad" drawer to work.  It wasn't right, and it wasn't pretty, but when the drawer was closed you wouldn't see how I'd made it work, and I was ready to just move on.  So, I started on the second drawer that had worked without any major adjustments.  I put on the drawer front and I was pretty darned close.  In retrospect I should have left that drawer front just as it was - BECAUSE, when I made the slight adjustment that I thought would improve the alignment, well, I have no idea what happened, but that darned drawer now wouldn't slide into the box!  In out, in out - nope, the right side was sticking out 1/4 inch from the face frame.  What could be wrong???  I looked, I moved the glide in the box, I moved the glide on the drawer.  I adjusted the right side, then the left.  Up, down, back, fore.  Nothing worked!

I'd like to say that I finally figured out what to do, but alas, I caved.  After hours and hours and hours pulling that danged drawer in and out (it weighs a ton, mind you, and it's big and bulky - I have a whole new crop of bruises on both my arms and legs!) I threw in the towel.  I did it nicely, nothing was thrown.  Children could be in the general area without worry - I wasn't swearing at all (by that point it I'd realized it was pretty useless!).  Nope, nothing sensational at all.  I just took off my apron, put the drill on the work bench, left the drawer body in pieces (more on this later) and shut the door.  I wasn't having fun right then.  I was done.

I hadn't made any plans for dinner, but I spent an enjoyable hour cooking a pretty darned good dinner from this and that, things I had on hand.  I even had a sip of red wine (vinegary or I would have had more than a sip!).  Now, I'm thinking I'll just go to bed.  Tomorrow's another day and another opportunity to make things work.  Maybe I'll dream of the solution to my problem - you think??  Even if the answer doesn't miraculously come to me, I'll figure it out.  Just not today...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!