Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

A place to dine...

My son and daughter (let's just call them the Doctors), have a small outdoor patio.  A normal sized patio table and chairs would use up all their space.  I had seen a really cool looking table posted to the ana-white site, and thought I could scale it down to the size they needed.  And, they had an anniversary coming up so I had an excuse to build something totally unnecessary, just interesting!   

I was going along, feeling really smug about creating this really interesting design when I noticed that almost every piece of wood I'd screwed into place had split!  I was pretty disappointed, and painstakingly began removing screws to see if I could salvage any of the material.  As it turned out, I had to make another trip to Home Depot for additional pine, but was able to reuse some of my original lumber.  

I had to get over my fear of using my husband's old circular saw to get the legs cut out, and I threw out a few 2x4's before I got them right!

In the end, I was surprised at how nicely it turned out.  Chairs - who would have thought that I could make chairs?  They actually should have been sanded more on the edges, but my lovely daughter-in-law said not to worry about it, they'd just buy some cushions.  Hooray!  My son says the seats are fairly comfortable as is, but I think he'll welcome the cushions, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!